Practical Project Management is Trigraph’s two day foundation course for project management.
It introduces a structured approach to managing projects and provides practical methods and concepts to help delegates deliver successful projects.
Theory and presentation are complemented with many opportunities over the two days to practice the concepts using a series of exercises.
The course is very practical and interactive and consists of classroom lectures, discussions, individual exercises and group exercises.
The course includes modules on:
Projects and the business
What is a Project? What is Project Management? Differentiating success from failure. The importance of the Business Case. Cost benefit analysis. Stakeholder management.
Project Methodologies and Processes
What is a methodology and how does it help? Introduce PRINCE2®, PMBOK and TenStep.
Developing and refining the project plan
Project scope and project deliverables. The Product Breakdown Structure and the Work Breakdown Structure. The different approaches to estimating the size of the work. Developing the schedule, identifying the task dependencies and the critical path. Estimation accuracy. Resource types and resource scheduling. Contingency planning.
Different organisation structures and project structures. Project roles and responsibilities. The Project Manager. The Project Board. The project team. Delegation and managing the team.
Controlling the Project
Requirements for project control. Managing the Baseline, Milestones and deadlines. Keeping track of costs. Identifying Project Risk and prioritising risk responses. Managing issues, Controlling Change. Closing the project.
The communications plan. Summary or Detailed reports? Project status and review meetings. Reporting to the Project Board or Steering Committee.
What you will learn
- Learn a structured approach to planning a project from initial concept through approval, planning, implementation and close.
- Learn the importance of project control and the factors to be addressed to deliver on time and within budget.
- Understand project organisation structures and people management techniques appropriate for a project environment
- All of our instructors are very experienced project managers who can provide practical insights to the topics presented.
The objective is to develop the foundation skills needed for defining and managing a project.The course will equip students with the fundamental skills to plan and implement projects successfully. By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Define a project and its success factors
- Identify the work using Breakdown Structures
- Develop a schedule and critical path
- Undertake project estimation
- Define a framework for Project Control
- Identify team and management requirements