This course will provide delegates with a fundamental understanding of the risks associated with pollution and environmental damage and the ways in which firms can become responsible for damage suffered by third parties and for remediation (clean up) costs. The course reviews the forms of insurance cover that are available, including the limited cover that is available under traditional property and liability policies and the wider cover provided by Environmental Liability Insurance (EIL). Underwriting problems, claims issues and key insurance market developments are also considered.
What you will learn
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Identify the main sources of pollution and contamination and the underlying law on pollution and environmental liability
- Outline the main forms of insurance cover that are available
- Analyse, evaluate and compare insurance policy wordings relating to pollution and environmental liability
- Describe the key underwriting and claims issues affecting environmental liability
- Understand the EIL market and its current trends.