This 1 day course is generally carried out on a weekend. It consists of a theory & practical assessment as per the SYFA criteria. The course running time is from 8.30am to 17.30pm. At Albacare complimentary tea, coffee, fruit and biscuits are provided. The SYFA identified in July 2018 that the SYFA course could be done over 8 hours class time and 8 hours pre-course reading and online assessment completed prior to the commencement of the course.
What you will learn
- The role of the first aider.
- Legal responsibilities of a first aider, duty of care/standards of care, roles and responsibilities especially regarding children.
- First aid at sporting events.
- The SYFA first aid kit.
- Incident assessment inc sending for help and personal safety.
- Basic life support (as per latest European Resuscitation Council guidelines) including use of AED.
- Management of the unconscious casualty.
- Recovery position & action for vomiting.
- Injuries to the head inc facial injuries.
- Specific information on the management of concussion with evidence approach based on new Scottish guidelines (2015).
- Spinal injury.
- Injuries to the limbs & soft tissue and suspected fracture.
- Bleeding injuries inc management of shock.
- Management of wounds and burns.
- Medical conditions in sport including asthma, diabetes, seizures, angina/heart attack, stroke and environmental problems including heat and cold.