This course is designed to provide an understanding of general health and safety including specific hazards associated with working in petrol retailing. It builds on the basic health and safety information of the Core Day programme by concentrating on risks specifically found with working on a Petrol Filling Station and allows delegates to recognise hazards, utilise control measures and safe working practices and maintain a safe working environment.
What you will learn
DAY 1 - Core Day
• Setting the Scene; Accidents.
• Organising for Safety; Responsibilities, duties and risk assessment, consultation and enforcement officers.
• Workplace Safety & General workplace safety requirements, behavioural safety, fire safety, working at height, hidden services, asbestos, confined spaces, and display screen equipment.
• Plant & Machinery, Hand held tools, electricity, and power tools.
• Health and Hygiene, hazardous substances, effects of the sun, temperature, occupational diseases, manual handling, vibration, noise and stress.
• Procedures - Safe systems of work, first aid requirements and occupational road accidents.
• The Environment, Pollution and waste, employers and employees responsibilities.
Day 2 - Safety Passport Alliance Petrol Retail Day.
MODULE 1 – Hazards on a Petrol Filling StationModule ContentTypes of hazardsFuel hazardsFuel propertiesDSEARRestricted areas on a petrol forecourtHazardous areasZone classificationDelivery hazardsVapour recoveryCustomer hazardsOther hazardsContractor hazards
MODULE 2: Controlling Work on a ForecourtModule ContentCommunicationDocumentationSafety method statementsClearance certificatesPermits to workTask classification
MODULE 3: Safe Working Practises Module Content Setting up your safe place of work Sales building hazards Confined spaces Excavations Hot work Working at height - Roof work - Ladders - Mobile scaffold towers - Mobile elevated work platforms Electricity Environmental protection
EXERCISE: A mandatory exercise designed to add a practical element to the course. Part one delegates will complete a hazard spotting based exercise on a picture of a petrol station. Part two delegates will complete a risk assessment based on their own work task on that petrol station and, determine control measures to reduce risk.