One-day Accuracy Skills is our open, public workshop for individuals or small groups who are looking to improve their accuracy. In this hands-on workshop you’ll learn why mistakes happen, how to apply practical data accuracy techniques and how to improve your attention to detail. You'll also learn how to guard against stress as a cause of error, how to check documents and emails effectively and how not to forget to do things.
The objectives are to:
- Introduce basic accuracy skills to get things right first time
- Improve attention to detail and adopt an accuracy mindset
- Introduce techniques for preventing mistakes in data and documents
- Manage time for greater productivity and efficiency.
All human beings make mistakes. The good news is that all human beings can develop practical skills to overcome the natural barriers to accuracy. In this introduction to accuracy skills, participants learn a variety of techniques to enable them to handle information and complete tasks correctly, even when working under pressure.
‘Attention to detail’ is a key requirement in many job roles and this fun, practical workshop reveals how to manage distractions and how to work accurately with documents and emails. Capturing, checking and communicating information accurately is essential for efficient operations. Participants learn simple data accuracy techniques for handling numbers and alphanumerics correctly.
Key themes in the workshop include:
- Why mistakes happen and what they cost: mistakes occur because of the way we function as human beings - the way our eyes and brain co-ordinate and the way we react under stress can result in 'silly' mistakes. An error that takes a few seconds to make often has long-lasting, expensive repercussions. Participants learn about the causes of mistakes, so they can take steps to prevent them, and how to quantify the cost of error in their own organisation.
- Developing an accurate mindset: being alert to the possibility of error and developing a sense of 'present-mindedness' means that mistakes are less likely to slip by unnoticed. Participants learn practical techniques and structured methodologies for checking their work and for adopting an accuracy mindset, so they get it right first time.
- Managing time for accurate outcomes: people don't think clearly when they feel stressed and overwhelmed. That's when tasks get forgotten and things go wrong. Participants learn how to use time productively and efficiently, so they are focused on the tasks that need to take priority. 'The day starts here' technique is an example of this.
Who's it for?
One-day Accuracy Skills includes activities on why all human beings make mistakes, checking numerical data, addresses, emails and words, dealing with distractions and stress, structured checking, checklist design and checking documents. Participants' typical job functions include:
- Administrators and Business Support
- Finance and Accounts
- Human Resources, Recruitment and L&D
- Personal Assistants and Secretarial Support
- Sales and Marketing.
What you will learn
One-day Accuracy Skills is an open workshop held across the UK. The workshop introduces participants to the fundamentals of accuracy skills and improves their personal effectiveness.
A summary of the subjects covered in each session is shown below:
- Importance of learning from mistakes
- The cost of mistakes
- Why mistakes happen
- Dealing with distractions
- How to 'SuperConcentrate'
- How to check documents
- Design checklists for accuracy
- Managing time for accurate outcomes
- A mindset for accuracy
- Take an accuracy test!
- Three takeaways to implement.
- Participants practise techniques for preventing mistakes in documents, numbers, names and addresses
- Participants learn how to manage distractions and remain focused
- Participants understand the importance of 'structured checking'
- Effective checklists created to avoid mistakes and promote accuracy
- Participants benefit from time management techniques to prevent oversight and error.